This demonstrates how to ingest FIRMS fire data provided as Web Feature Services (WFS) into ArcGIS Pro and custom modify symbols, colors and size.
- 1. Add WFS Service Connection
- 2. Establish Connection
- 3. View FIRMS Layers
- 4. Draw FIRMS Layer
- 5. Open Layer Symbology Window
- 6. Set Layer Symbology Parameters
- 7. View Results
Step 1 – Add WFS Service Connection
- Launch ArcPro and open Catalog window.
- Create New Map
- Add New WFS Server Connection
Step 2 - Establish Connection
For server URL set WFS Connection/URL enter connection string for the desired WFS.
For example, for the last 7 day WFS services for the continental US and Hawaii use
where ‘YOUR_MAP_KEY’ is the unique code containing both letters and numbers
(make sure '/?' is included at the end of your WFS URL).
- Click OK
Step 3 - View FIRMS Layers
- If connection was successful, there will be a list of FIRMS WFS service feature layers.
- Open the tree structure under Servers → firms2.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov.wfs to see the WFS the feature type layers.
- Find the layer of interest and drag into your Map Project (ex. NOAA-20 7 days fires).
Step 4 - Draw FIRMS Layer
- Drag the layer of interest into the desired ArcPro map window.
- The layer will be added to your window and draw.
- Position the layer accordingly in the draw order so it is visible with other layers.
Step 5 - Open Layer Symbology Window
- Right click on the FIRMS layer.
- Click on Symbology.
Step 6 - Set Layer Symbology Parameters
- Configure the symbology as desired. Active fire detections can all be symbolized using a single symbol or they can be classified and symbolized uniquely or as graduated symbols based on feature layer attribute values.
- Click OK button to assign the desired symbology scheme.
Step 7 - View Results
- The map will display using your custom symbology.